The cemetery is named for the family of John "Jack" Champion. Originally from South Carolina he settled into Texas in 1850 and married Naomi Standefer, with whom he had seven children. In 1854 he bought 200 acres along Brushy Creek. He served both in the civil war and was county sheriff for a short time.
The headstones are obviously not the originals. The slabs are largely pristine, of consistent quality and sit on concrete bases. In addition to the markers that have been replaced, there is evidence of several unmarked graves as well.
It's often sad to see old family cemeteries that get engulfed in the sprawl that explodes around them. However, this little cemetery seems to have found itself in as attractive location as possible in this quickly growing area.
A Texas Historical Marker at this location reads:
No logs have been entered for this location.