A wide view of the cemetery. The South Gabriel Cemetery Assoc. does a great job of maintaining the site.
The South Gabriel Cemetery not only marks the resting place for the individuals who are buried here, but it is also the remaining epitaph for an entire community. The town of South Gabriel was originally called Lewiston, but the name was changed when the post office arrived in 1871. By 1880 the tiny community of 39 featured a church, a school, two stores, a hotel, a saloon, a cotton gin and other businesses.
South Gabriel's downfall came with the railroad, which despite a $3000 incentive to build through the town, built through nearby Bertram. The post office moved to Bertram in 1882. By 1907 the town's school relocated elsewhere. A clustering of houses remained through the 1940's, but today all that remains is the cemetery.
The cemetery is well served by the South Gabriel Cemetery Association that maintains the property. Compared to many other small cemeteries, the property is spotless and well groomed, a peaceful resting place even after all these years.