Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mcduff  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:36:19 PM(UTC)
mcduff

Groups: Registered

Hello guys, I have been hiking and i was wanting to ask fellow hikers what would be a GPS to look at in stores?
Blaze  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 1:09:26 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

Hi, I have a Garmin Oregon. It's the only one I've ever owned. I've had it almost a year and I love it.

I resisted getting a GPS for many years, mainly because I did not want to have an "electronic leash". That notion seemed to defeat the whole purpose of "getting away" from it all and enjoying the solitude that Nature provides. Also, as an ultralight backpacker I did not want to add any more weight to my pack.

However, I hike 99% of the time by myself and I often hike deep into the wilderness. After getting lost more times than I care to admit, I decided that having a GPS could be helpful. That was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only have I found it helpful in numerous ways, I can tell you that it literally saved my life last November when I did a 4-day/77 mile hike into the backcountry of Big Bend National Park in West Texas. So, I am a big-time convert.

There are many things you can do with a GPS, including geocaching. If you decide to get one, invest in some good batteries as GPS units can be energy hogs. Sanyo Eneloop makes the best, IMHO.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
mcduff  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 5:06:29 PM(UTC)
mcduff

Thanks Lone Star for the info, it is very useful. I have seen you have put in a lot of trail logs and i haft to say Good job! Another question, can i also save the route that i take and upload it onto here??
Blaze  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2014 8:35:58 PM(UTC)
Blaze

Thanks for the kind words. I've put in a few miles. :)

Yes, one of the nice features of the Garmin GPS is that you can "save your tracks", which is like Hansel and Gredel leaving trail crumbs. If you ever get lost or make a wrong turn, its easy to backtrack. This can be especially helpful in the dark. You can also upload your track file to your computer (using Garmin's Basecamp software) or Google Earth. And, a nice feature of this website is that you can upload your tracks (and photos) when you write a log of your hike.

I am not promoting Garmin over any other GPS manufacturer. I've only owned this one GPS and it's a Garmin, so I am just letting you know I am very satisfied. Most of the GPS devices I've seen on the trail are Garmins. Personally, I do not recommend using a smartphone unless you're just doing dayhikes.

The interface does take some getting use to. It's not very intuitive out of the box and Garmin doesn't provide a printed user's manual, but if you mess with it for awhile and/or watch YouTube videos then you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

Tons of features. Some of the ones I use are:
- Sunset time (helpful since I've run out of daylight many times before)
- Waypoints
- Alarm clock (not very loud, though)
- Altimeter
- Barometer

This last feature is hard to explain, but you can create a separate profile with barometer settings. If you see the air pressure start to fall rapidly, it's usually a sign that rain is moving in.

You can also download someone else's track file (known as a .GPX file) and use it as a route.

To get the most out of your GPS device, you'll need good maps. The ones that come with the GPS aren't very useful. Garmin sells smaller scale maps, but they're pricey. The good news is you can find and use free maps on the internet. This is what I do. I can give you the link if you need it.

Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
Austin Explorer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:42:54 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Good replies by Lone_Star. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in as well.

I own a Garmin Montana. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the Garmin Oregon since it's smaller. The camera in the Montana is not very good at all. I ended up just using my cell phone for photos.

Garmin is the only maker's product that I've owned and I've been very pleased with them. Using the BaseCamp software to connect to your GPS unit, downloading .GPX files is much easier than it used to be a few years back. The GPX files are ready to be uploaded to this site so that you can show other user's what you've been up to. I should probably write up a page for the site showing how this is done.
Robert
Blaze  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 9:07:36 AM(UTC)
Blaze

My eyes have gone downhill ever since I hit 40, so I like the larger screen of the Montana, but it is a bit too heavy for my ounce-conscious pack list.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
nishuode  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:25:34 AM(UTC)
nishuode

Good question.