Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Austin Explorer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:29:09 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I thought I'd start a new thread for hiking challenges being held in 2017. This first challenge can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere. It's not limited to trails or parks within a given geographic area. The 52 Hike Challenge merely requires you get out and do 52 hikes in a year. It doesn't seem to be tied to a specific calendar year, so you're free to maintain any starting point you like. But the forum thread is year based, so if I elect to go with this one that's probably the start and end dates I'll use.

52 Hike Challenge

There is a FAQ page that gives some of the rules. Their definition of a "hike" is fairly lenient, so it's approachable by even rank beginners.
Robert
Austin Explorer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2017 8:09:08 AM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Here's another challenge that I've mentioned in the past that is back for 2017, the East Bay Regional Park District Trails Challenge 2017. To complete this challenge one needs to hike either 5 trails and/or 26.2 miles at one of the 20 parks highlighted in the challenge guidebook.

There is a December 1st deadline for the challenge and those who complete the challenge will receive a commemorative pin.

EB Regional Parks Trail Challenge 2017 Logo
Robert
Austin Explorer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2017 6:25:53 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

The Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a 100 miles in 100 days challenge. This one even has options for participation by mountain bikers and horseback riders. No information on the reward for the hoses involved.

The bad part is, you don't have much time. Program started last November and ends February 8th. Get going!
Robert
Austin Explorer  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2017 8:20:59 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

More publicity about the East Bay Regional Parks trail challenge. And apparently, this has been going on for 24 years.

Edited by user Monday, February 6, 2017 8:27:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Robert
Austin Explorer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:48:42 AM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

And another challenge. Hike 100 miles on the North Country National Scenic Trail and become eligible for a patch.

UserPostedImage

The North Country National Scenic Trail is 4,600 miles long, so 100 miles only represents around 2% of its full length. Apparently, last year 5,000 attempted the challenge with 1,500 completing it. This challenge started with the calendar year, so hit the trail!
Robert
Sophie Powell  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:25:06 AM(UTC)
Sophie Powell

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Austin Explorer Go to Quoted Post
And another challenge. Hike 100 miles on the North Country National Scenic Trail and become eligible for a patch.

UserPostedImage

The North Country National Scenic Trail is 4,600 miles long, so 100 miles only represents around 2% of its full length. Apparently, learn how to bet on baseball last year 5,000 attempted the challenge with 1,500 completing it. This challenge started with the calendar year, so hit the trail!

Really great challenges. Thanks a lot for fresh news.

Edited by user Friday, March 17, 2017 9:16:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ruarc  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:38:07 AM(UTC)
Ruarc

Groups: Registered

I'm really into hiking so I decided to search some places I've never been before and this actually got my attention. I found an article to a place in Spain called Canary Island https://www.canaryisland...canaria/places/artenara/ and many people have been going here to hike. Actually, the place has many activities to offer like water sports and trekking, I was planning to make a trip here next year to experience the island myself, Do you guys have any suggestions or advice regarding to the place? It would be a great help. Thanks!